Saturday, March 22, 2008

Herons on the River

With all the references to cranes here in Hiroshima, I originally thought these birds were cranes. These birds are actually Grey Herons. I see a dozen of these birds every time I ride my bicycle to work. You can also look out our apartment window and see them soaring gracefully over the water.

I wanted to get a picture of these graceful animals before we leave Japan. So I set out this Saturday morning to get a few pictures. The Island the birds were nesting on was 100 meters away. I hit the limitation of my equipment. As much as I love my new 17-85mm lenses it is not near large enough for taking bird pictures at this distance. I had three choices buy a new lens ($$$$), get a boat (????) or crop the heck out of the pictures. So, please pardon the quality of these pictures because I took the easy path of cropping.





Hi dear, I'm home

This nest looks pretty big








2 comments:

Kevin said...

You can borrow my 400 some day to go and shoot these big, skinny birds...

Corey Ducklow said...

Cool! The nest is only 1 km from my house!